Historical Research - B.Places of Memory

B.Places of Memory

Capsule #0-L - Pont-Rouge  -  by claudematte|ALL

Pont-Rouge

Both nestled at the foot of the Laurentian mountains and traversed by the winding course of the Jacques-Cartier River, Pont-Rouge quickly taken advantage of this force of nature to attract its first inhabitants around 1740. It was however founded over one hundred years later, in 1867. Pont-Rouge was formerly known under the name of Sainte-Jeanne-de-Neuville, name given to the parish in the memory of the canonization of the Saint and to remind the membership of a rappelling a bridge built by the inhabitants in 1822 and painted in red a few years later. Sainte-Jeanne-de-Pont-Rouge designation was given to the parish in 1957. The present town is formed by the merger of the parish and the village in 1996.

Very early the Jacques-Cartier River was recognized as ideal for salmon fishing. One of the first clubs private fishing in America is established at the beginning of the 19th century. Dery is located at the same place where was built in 1804 the bridge Royal, first toll in Quebec bridge, and the House of the toll which will later be used in the activities of the first outfitter in Quebec. Dery was named at the bridge and at home to commemorate the memory of the family of the same name which occupied the premises and managed the outfitter for nearly a century. All including the path, the banks of the river and his bed, bridge, House and dependencies, are classified as historic site since 1984. The presence of the Jacques-Cartier River promoted colonization and Pont-Rouge industrial development towards the end of the last century. Built between 1870 and 1872, the mill Marcoux recognized historic monument in 1978, is a relic of the industrial history of Pont-Rouge based on water power from the river. In 1870 and 1904, McDougall and Bird dams were erected for respectively the 'slab mill', which will become the Dery mill and the mill's pulp and paper 'Montreal Paper Company', known today under the name of EMCO Ltd. The work carried out in these infrastructures in recent years now allow the Atlantic salmon up the River upstream from Pont-Rouge to Jacques-Cartier Park. The city of Pont-Rouge is currently experiencing rapid population growth. It is today the second city of importance in terms of population in the MRC de

Pont-Rouge cemetery is in two parts.

One located around the Church (page 2) and the other on the road towards St-Raymond (page 3-4).  

John (Baptist) Matte born in Cap-Santé nov 18, 1848, married to Pont-Rouge on January 7, 1873 at Lea (Elias) Richard. Jean B. Matte was the son of Jean-Baptiste Matte and Adeline Savard married in Cap-Santé January 19, 1847, in Cap-Santé. He was the brother of Élie Matte.

Memory Of  Elias Richard Dec. on March 9, 1920  at the age of 75 years’ wife of Jean Matte  and her husband Jean Matte  Dec. on Jan 27. 1928

At the age of 79

Eugene Matte 1880-1960 Husband of Alice Julien

Sister of Jacques Matte, Treasurer & Francine Matte 2nd Secretary

Virgine Matte christened March 28, 1855, married to Pont-Rouge, February 15, 1887, Napoleon Laroche.

Sister Elie Matte, Baker's Cap-Santé 

Sweet memory  Napoleon Laroche Husband of Virgine Matte Died 2 June 1, 1915 at the age of 53 years  And his wife Virgine Matte  died January 28, 1935 at the age of 89

R.I.P.

Capsule #0-L Format PDF: - Pont-Rouge Cemetery

The capsules # 00 are information bearing the word Matte, the capsules # 0 are of general information used to complete the capsules identified # 0 (Charles) or # 1 (Nicolas and Madeleine) or # .2 (children) , etc., which correspond to lineages of Matte ancestors.


 

Pont-Rouge

Both nestled at the foot of the Laurentian mountains and traversed by the winding course of the Jacques-Cartier River, Pont-Rouge quickly taken advantage of this force of nature to attract its first inhabitants around 1740. It was however founded over one hundred years later, in 1867. Pont-Rouge was formerly known under the name of Sainte-Jeanne-de-Neuville, name given to the parish in the memory of the canonization of the Saint and to remind the membership of a rappelling a bridge built by the inhabitants in 1822 and painted in red a few years later. Sainte-Jeanne-de-Pont-Rouge designation was given to the parish in 1957. The present town is formed by the merger of the parish and the village in 1996.

Very early the Jacques-Cartier River was recognized as ideal for salmon fishing. One of the first clubs private fishing in America is established at the beginning of the 19th century. Dery is located at the same place where was built in 1804 the bridge Royal, first toll in Quebec bridge, and the House of the toll which will later be used in the activities of the first outfitter in Quebec. Dery was named at the bridge and at home to commemorate the memory of the family of the same name which occupied the premises and managed the outfitter for nearly a century. All including the path, the banks of the river and his bed, bridge, House and dependencies, are classified as historic site since 1984. The presence of the Jacques-Cartier River promoted colonization and Pont-Rouge industrial development towards the end of the last century. Built between 1870 and 1872, the mill Marcoux recognized historic monument in 1978, is a relic of the industrial history of Pont-Rouge based on water power from the river. In 1870 and 1904, McDougall and Bird dams were erected for respectively the 'slab mill', which will become the Dery mill and the mill's pulp and paper 'Montreal Paper Company', known today under the name of EMCO Ltd. The work carried out in these infrastructures in recent years now allow the Atlantic salmon up the River upstream from Pont-Rouge to Jacques-Cartier Park. The city of Pont-Rouge is currently experiencing rapid population growth. It is today the second city of importance in terms of population in the MRC de

Pont-Rouge cemetery is in two parts.

One located around the Church (page 2) and the other on the road towards St-Raymond (page 3-4).  

John (Baptist) Matte born in Cap-Santé nov 18, 1848, married to Pont-Rouge on January 7, 1873 at Lea (Elias) Richard. Jean B. Matte was the son of Jean-Baptiste Matte and Adeline Savard married in Cap-Santé January 19, 1847, in Cap-Santé. He was the brother of Élie Matte.

Memory Of  Elias Richard Dec. on March 9, 1920  at the age of 75 years’ wife of Jean Matte  and her husband Jean Matte  Dec. on Jan 27. 1928

At the age of 79

Eugene Matte 1880-1960 Husband of Alice Julien

Sister of Jacques Matte, Treasurer & Francine Matte 2nd Secretary

Virgine Matte christened March 28, 1855, married to Pont-Rouge, February 15, 1887, Napoleon Laroche.

Sister Elie Matte, Baker's Cap-Santé 

Sweet memory  Napoleon Laroche Husband of Virgine Matte Died 2 June 1, 1915 at the age of 53 years  And his wife Virgine Matte  died January 28, 1935 at the age of 89

R.I.P.

Capsule #0-L Format PDF: - Pont-Rouge Cemetery

The capsules # 00 are information bearing the word Matte, the capsules # 0 are of general information used to complete the capsules identified # 0 (Charles) or # 1 (Nicolas and Madeleine) or # .2 (children) , etc., which correspond to lineages of Matte ancestors.


 

Close Close

Published on 2018/01/02 02:20   | All the posts | Preview   Print...   | Top
Categories

Unfold Close Contents

Unfold Close A.Our First Ancestors

Unfold Close B.Places of Memory

Unfold Close C.The Local Branches of the Family

Unfold Close D.Illustrious Persons

Unfold Close E.Memorabilia and Curiosities

Last posts
Blog calendar
07-2018 August 2018
S M T W T F S
      01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31