Historical Research - B.Places of Memory

B.Places of Memory

Capsule # 0-E - The Seigneury Belair of Pointe aux Ecureuils  -  by claudematte|ALL

The Seigneury Belair from Les Ecureuils

November 30, 1672, Jean Talon, intendant of justice police and Finance of new-France, gives the Sieur Toupin, father and son, a grant of one-half instead of front on a place of depth to take on the St. Lawrence River, half below and half above the tip to Les Ecureuils. The conditions are not onerous. He must settle himself, granting land to settlers, book oak wood for the construction of the ships of her Majesty and give notice to the King of the discovery of minerals. At the beginning of the new-France, a few influential characters became grant fiefs particularly in Quebec region without taking possession by housing or royal confirmation. This the tip to Les Ecureuils would have been granted to a member of the Lauzon family under the title of Baron. Jean Talon does mention Lauzon or Bélair unlike all subsequent official acts. There were therefore Bélair de Maure in St. Augustin and Bélair from the tip to Les Ecureuils.

The recipient family Toupin of this seignoiry was originally from Normandy, according to an act of religious profession of one of his daughters at the Hotel-Dieu de Quebec. The head is name was Toussaint and unknown the date of his arrival in New France. This mysterious man owned a gown and haude Chandra (panties), three muskets and an old tabar (short coat of the Kings of arms). What do these objects for a musketeer of the King?

 There officially Toussaint Toupin at the mission of the Jesuits of Sillery, where he is Godfather of a savage April 25, 1639. It was therefore in the region before that date. It is known that he was born in 1616.

He became a companion of Pierre Boucher, Governor of Three-Rivers. These two young boys travel among the Indians and found mention in several places in the journal of Jesuits in the 1640. He married same Pierre Boucher sister, Marguerite, at the end of December or early January 1646. At that time, he already had in the suburbs of the Trois-Rivières a grant of three acres with home he sold in June 1647 to reside in Quebec.

June 14, 1650, the Tardif, Olivier, Lord of Beaupré, conceded him a ground in Château-Richer at a place called jump-à-la-Puce. His habitat until 1655, the praising subsequently and settling owner in Quebec City, at the foot of the Côte de la Montagne. Toussaint Toupin was prior to any browser. Having sold his first land in the Trois-Rivières and leased its second in the jump-to-la-Puce, he bought two small boats at the start and he finished with an eighteen (18) barrel. His son, John, followed him from his teens and this was from father to son.

With its trade of Anticosti Island in Ville-Marie, he acquired a certain ease and influence not to mention his two marriages with the sister of Pierre Boucher, Governor of Trois-Rivières, and Marie Bourdon, widowed Jean Gloria and niece of Jean Bourdon, Attorney general and Chief Engineer of the new-France. His son, Jean Baptiste, married the same day and at the same time and before the same priest, his daughter, Marie Gloria. It was the church Notre-Dame de Québec on June 3, 1669.

http://www.migrations.fr/images/blasondussault.jpgThree families Toupin did strain in the Canada. One that interests us is name was Toussaint and to well locate one called him Toupin du Sault, dropping the two words "chip". When John, his son, took possession of the seigneury, he adopted that nickname as title of new rural nobility, what makes that the founding family of the squirrels was the Toupin-du-Sault which became simply the Dussault.

In 1691, arrives at Les Ecureuils, François Dussault, husband of Geneviève Mézeray. It occupies the neighboring land of the area abandoned by Pierre Grosleaux. He bought it in 1695 and in 1707, his son Jacques du Cap-Rouge will come settle west of his father. This family came from Paris with the Dussault name, what makes that squirrels, early on, there were the founding family Toupin du Sault and the Dussault. Interestingly, in 1972, it remains only one or two families Dussault while Toupin-Dussault are still very numerous although they have abandoned the original name Toupin. The Act of concession of the seignoiry dating from November 30, 1672, the new Lord did there came certainly not immediately because his wife was pregnant and that her first child was born in the jump-to-the-chip may 20, 1673. The only way to get to the squirrel was the St. Lawrence River. No road, forest, a few cottages at Saint-Augustin and Neuville then vacuum. Father Toussaint Toupin has 56 years and navigation business takes him all his time. Therefore, his son Jean who will be the real founder of the seigneury.

Jean Baptiste was 24 years old and his wife, Mary, daughter of the notary Jean Gloria, was born in March 1654 and was to sponsor the Sieur Louis of Ailleboust de Coulonge, Governor, and godmother, Jacqueline Potel, wife of Jean Bourdon, Attorney general of the colony and Lord of Neuville, from which the word Dombourg. She is only 18 years old, wife for 3 years and who to the Ursuline’s in Quebec. Exile in a forest, 30 years before the definitive peace with the Indians, it was heroism.

The first quarter century of the lordship was a series of events during which the young Lord showed unusual courage. He could give it all up for the coasting trade with his father. By recoupages, I would like to report some

In the spring of 1673, Jean Baptiste Toupin had hastening to visit his lordship with his father and the best place to store their boats of 18 tons was in the Groove of the West side of the tip, protected from the wind and currents. Its own domain will leave this place, reserving seven acres, nine poles wide on 40 acres of depths in addition to another land an acre and a half of front on 40 acres of depths in the third concession, today the great wood of garlic of Cap-Santé.  The inhabited cottage near the place where the ship is berthed lies on the cliff at about a mile more East. This isn't an unknown in the Toupin that inhabits it since this is Jean Dubuc, last elector qualified by property west of the seigneury of Neuville, he is a former servant of Jean Bourdon of Quebec. It must have good cooperation on his part since on several occasions. We see the name of Dubuc in marriages and burial of Toupin family acts. Finally on November 3, 1688, we read Neuville registers on a single input signed the cure Basset, the story of a drama where 3 people are drowned after a boat capsized near the tip to the squirrels. He is the son of the Lord, aged 13 years, Jean Dubuc, 49 years old and Anne Coquincour Michel, 46 years. No member of the family Toupin seems present at the funeral. Would there be other victims remained invalid? The young Michel was the first child born in squirrels 13 January 1676 and solemnly baptized at the church Notre-Dame de Québec on January 22, 1676.

In 1701, Les Ecureuils Belair has 22 electors qualified by property and 66 1/2 acres in value. In the list, we read the Page, Dussault and small in addition to the family of the Lord Toupin-Dussault. Remarkably, we trace 10 families in the second concession, called the "village" at this time. The Lord has a Caruso (MARE), 10 horned beasts, pigs, chickens, canes, turkeys and pigeons and we read also a boat valued at 900 pounds.

Jean Baptiste Toupin is deserving, son of browser and having himself a boat, he could just abandon and make the coasting trade as his father, but faithful to his ideal, he died at the age of 54 with the satisfaction of having built an estate on permanent bases. In Les Ecureuils, near the Church, a small monument high in 1946 recalls his memory.

Jean Toussaint Toupin, born January 7, 1675, son of Toussaint and Marie Bourdon, brother of Jean-Baptiste, founder of Les Ecureuils, it retraces it notary Chamballon July 6 1700 as a "reserve volunteer" dictating his testament before leaving for North Baye (Hudson Bay). About 200 books has, he spends 150 to pray to God for the repose of his soul and give balance to his niece. Also he asked Nicolas Doyon, Quebec harquebusier, use, for the repose of his soul, the 5 years of arrears of annuity of 15 pounds the Doyon said he is "each year on his house". On is amazed to find courage in a young person committing to such a course and proclaiming his faith in unequivocal way.

Again at Chamballon on October 12, 1707, was this Jean Toussaint Toupin, resident city of Larochelle remaining in the parish of St. Savior. In this act he confesses Doyon receiving full payment of arrears referred to in the Act of 1700. He therefore returned do strain in France and his passage to Québec twice gives us the impression that it is browser long short.

Jean-Baptiste, son of the founder of Les Ecureuils, Sieur Dussault of Belair, was born June 30, 1678 at the tip to the squirrels. The death of his father, he was 22 years old and is single, it inherits without fragmentation of the seigneury. It will be before any browser to his account and all profits will be used to develop his lordship.

In 1705, he rented the Ste. Anne, ship of 20 tons to go to Marina (Anticosti). It will become owner since it exchange for a two-masted 5 to 15 tons to Joseph Riverin, merchant of Quebec, against 966 pounds. It is said that his new boat is "fallen" in the Ass - bag, currently loaded and ready to leave for the Bay Green (Chamballon 8 may 1709). From 1713 to 1723, he was the browser or the captain of the Sainte-Anne on behalf of the Seminaries de Québec of the Bay St-Paul in Ville-Marie, with gauges, the levels of freight collected travel each year. (Quebec history, the Abbe H. Provost vol. 1 not 3 and 4). The death of his father, Jean-Baptiste had only 22 years old, so minor within the meaning of the Act at the time. He obtained from the sovereign Council April 27, 1701 his letters of emancipation for "aud. Exposing to enjoy his personal property and income of its buildings all also that is it was in age of majority owners that ant this skill and exempt... "." In the year 1709, the Lord grants 13 land by contract before the notary Bernard of the river. Among these new, complementing the second concession, we read the names Godin and Pleau, always present in 1972. 

It is probably from the year 1709 that we call "village" the territory included in the second concession. At this date, the seigneurial path ran parallel to the cliff from the river where the cottages and Manor were built, as in acts, it is well said "Let an acre on the front of the said concession to the communal way."

     Watercolor of the Manor according to memories of a lady Dussault, the who lived. Only remember the seigneurial Manor destroyed by fire in 1877. The first was made of wood and was replaced by the early 18th century. 

It is in 1681 the first Lord attaches to Léonard Paillard of the "small Village" of Beauport the first seigniorial mill construction contract. "" For 231 pounds, it must build a 17 foot by 14 foot cabin in which a premix shall be fixed: "of 4 feet of diamaistre or more syl may find greater quantenence moulanges". It was located at the fall of a stream in the part east of point to the squirrels. This mill is qualified of ruins in 1700.

The first December 1710, the second Lord, Jean-Baptiste Toupin Dussault convenes the elector qualified by property to engage by contract notarized to grind their grain to the new mill that he wants to build in the third concession of his seigneury at the confluence a small river (Prairies of River) and Jacques Cartier

http://pages.infinit.net/gildus/Moulin-a.jpgIt is in this act as the notary Bernard of the River, twice is mention of the word ' village' to refer to the  territory of the second concession. ""Jean-Baptiste Toupin, Lord of the fief Earth and Lord of Bel-Ayer (Belair) which me having required to transport me to said place to the small village second-class accommodation of the said Lordship... locals who found themselves in the said village..." (Bernard of the 1 December 1710 River).

This mill still exists today despite its abandonment. Its foundations are very high and I remember having noticed a flat stone with fittings and chains having served, told me, to life imprisonment of a madman in the region. Toupin-Dussault Family sold its mill in 1743 to Jean Lamothe to a pension annual and perpetual of hundred bushels of wheat. Two centuries later, in 1917, Simeon Matte acquired and transforms it to also serve as saw mill. Thus, hydraulic power is shared between the sawmilling, agenda, and casting grain, night. In 1970, the mill Matte is inhabited, but no longer works.

In the confession and enumeration of the Lord, dated 17 February 1723, stated: A barn of forty feet close pile behind the scenes... a stable and barn 25-foot long piece on exhibit. In the inventory of the same Lord dated 28 February 1724, reported a House masonry of 34 feet by 24 on a floor with bulkhead, frames, doors, floor up and down, covered in shingles. This brief description does not make justice to the description that made me the old and especially the sister Marie-Eugenie c.m.d. who was born and lived in the Manor House. "" A great transformation done day and quickly forgotten: "the House of coulombages covered with boards and a barn or pious standing Hamid and covered with straw... stable and barn". (Chamballon 1702).

Capsule # 0-E ( 9 Pages) Format PDF: - The Seigneury Belair of Pointe aux Ecureuils

The capsules # 00 are information bearing the word Matte, the capsules # 0 are of general information used to complete the capsules identified # 0 (Charles) or # 1 (Nicolas and Madeleine) or # .2 (children) , etc., which correspond to lineages of Matte ancestors.

The Seigneury Belair from Les Ecureuils

November 30, 1672, Jean Talon, intendant of justice police and Finance of new-France, gives the Sieur Toupin, father and son, a grant of one-half instead of front on a place of depth to take on the St. Lawrence River, half below and half above the tip to Les Ecureuils. The conditions are not onerous. He must settle himself, granting land to settlers, book oak wood for the construction of the ships of her Majesty and give notice to the King of the discovery of minerals. At the beginning of the new-France, a few influential characters became grant fiefs particularly in Quebec region without taking possession by housing or royal confirmation. This the tip to Les Ecureuils would have been granted to a member of the Lauzon family under the title of Baron. Jean Talon does mention Lauzon or Bélair unlike all subsequent official acts. There were therefore Bélair de Maure in St. Augustin and Bélair from the tip to Les Ecureuils.

The recipient family Toupin of this seignoiry was originally from Normandy, according to an act of religious profession of one of his daughters at the Hotel-Dieu de Quebec. The head is name was Toussaint and unknown the date of his arrival in New France. This mysterious man owned a gown and haude Chandra (panties), three muskets and an old tabar (short coat of the Kings of arms). What do these objects for a musketeer of the King?

 There officially Toussaint Toupin at the mission of the Jesuits of Sillery, where he is Godfather of a savage April 25, 1639. It was therefore in the region before that date. It is known that he was born in 1616.

He became a companion of Pierre Boucher, Governor of Three-Rivers. These two young boys travel among the Indians and found mention in several places in the journal of Jesuits in the 1640. He married same Pierre Boucher sister, Marguerite, at the end of December or early January 1646. At that time, he already had in the suburbs of the Trois-Rivières a grant of three acres with home he sold in June 1647 to reside in Quebec.

June 14, 1650, the Tardif, Olivier, Lord of Beaupré, conceded him a ground in Château-Richer at a place called jump-à-la-Puce. His habitat until 1655, the praising subsequently and settling owner in Quebec City, at the foot of the Côte de la Montagne. Toussaint Toupin was prior to any browser. Having sold his first land in the Trois-Rivières and leased its second in the jump-to-la-Puce, he bought two small boats at the start and he finished with an eighteen (18) barrel. His son, John, followed him from his teens and this was from father to son.

With its trade of Anticosti Island in Ville-Marie, he acquired a certain ease and influence not to mention his two marriages with the sister of Pierre Boucher, Governor of Trois-Rivières, and Marie Bourdon, widowed Jean Gloria and niece of Jean Bourdon, Attorney general and Chief Engineer of the new-France. His son, Jean Baptiste, married the same day and at the same time and before the same priest, his daughter, Marie Gloria. It was the church Notre-Dame de Québec on June 3, 1669.

http://www.migrations.fr/images/blasondussault.jpgThree families Toupin did strain in the Canada. One that interests us is name was Toussaint and to well locate one called him Toupin du Sault, dropping the two words "chip". When John, his son, took possession of the seigneury, he adopted that nickname as title of new rural nobility, what makes that the founding family of the squirrels was the Toupin-du-Sault which became simply the Dussault.

In 1691, arrives at Les Ecureuils, François Dussault, husband of Geneviève Mézeray. It occupies the neighboring land of the area abandoned by Pierre Grosleaux. He bought it in 1695 and in 1707, his son Jacques du Cap-Rouge will come settle west of his father. This family came from Paris with the Dussault name, what makes that squirrels, early on, there were the founding family Toupin du Sault and the Dussault. Interestingly, in 1972, it remains only one or two families Dussault while Toupin-Dussault are still very numerous although they have abandoned the original name Toupin. The Act of concession of the seignoiry dating from November 30, 1672, the new Lord did there came certainly not immediately because his wife was pregnant and that her first child was born in the jump-to-the-chip may 20, 1673. The only way to get to the squirrel was the St. Lawrence River. No road, forest, a few cottages at Saint-Augustin and Neuville then vacuum. Father Toussaint Toupin has 56 years and navigation business takes him all his time. Therefore, his son Jean who will be the real founder of the seigneury.

Jean Baptiste was 24 years old and his wife, Mary, daughter of the notary Jean Gloria, was born in March 1654 and was to sponsor the Sieur Louis of Ailleboust de Coulonge, Governor, and godmother, Jacqueline Potel, wife of Jean Bourdon, Attorney general of the colony and Lord of Neuville, from which the word Dombourg. She is only 18 years old, wife for 3 years and who to the Ursuline’s in Quebec. Exile in a forest, 30 years before the definitive peace with the Indians, it was heroism.

The first quarter century of the lordship was a series of events during which the young Lord showed unusual courage. He could give it all up for the coasting trade with his father. By recoupages, I would like to report some

In the spring of 1673, Jean Baptiste Toupin had hastening to visit his lordship with his father and the best place to store their boats of 18 tons was in the Groove of the West side of the tip, protected from the wind and currents. Its own domain will leave this place, reserving seven acres, nine poles wide on 40 acres of depths in addition to another land an acre and a half of front on 40 acres of depths in the third concession, today the great wood of garlic of Cap-Santé.  The inhabited cottage near the place where the ship is berthed lies on the cliff at about a mile more East. This isn't an unknown in the Toupin that inhabits it since this is Jean Dubuc, last elector qualified by property west of the seigneury of Neuville, he is a former servant of Jean Bourdon of Quebec. It must have good cooperation on his part since on several occasions. We see the name of Dubuc in marriages and burial of Toupin family acts. Finally on November 3, 1688, we read Neuville registers on a single input signed the cure Basset, the story of a drama where 3 people are drowned after a boat capsized near the tip to the squirrels. He is the son of the Lord, aged 13 years, Jean Dubuc, 49 years old and Anne Coquincour Michel, 46 years. No member of the family Toupin seems present at the funeral. Would there be other victims remained invalid? The young Michel was the first child born in squirrels 13 January 1676 and solemnly baptized at the church Notre-Dame de Québec on January 22, 1676.

In 1701, Les Ecureuils Belair has 22 electors qualified by property and 66 1/2 acres in value. In the list, we read the Page, Dussault and small in addition to the family of the Lord Toupin-Dussault. Remarkably, we trace 10 families in the second concession, called the "village" at this time. The Lord has a Caruso (MARE), 10 horned beasts, pigs, chickens, canes, turkeys and pigeons and we read also a boat valued at 900 pounds.

Jean Baptiste Toupin is deserving, son of browser and having himself a boat, he could just abandon and make the coasting trade as his father, but faithful to his ideal, he died at the age of 54 with the satisfaction of having built an estate on permanent bases. In Les Ecureuils, near the Church, a small monument high in 1946 recalls his memory.

Jean Toussaint Toupin, born January 7, 1675, son of Toussaint and Marie Bourdon, brother of Jean-Baptiste, founder of Les Ecureuils, it retraces it notary Chamballon July 6 1700 as a "reserve volunteer" dictating his testament before leaving for North Baye (Hudson Bay). About 200 books has, he spends 150 to pray to God for the repose of his soul and give balance to his niece. Also he asked Nicolas Doyon, Quebec harquebusier, use, for the repose of his soul, the 5 years of arrears of annuity of 15 pounds the Doyon said he is "each year on his house". On is amazed to find courage in a young person committing to such a course and proclaiming his faith in unequivocal way.